Skip to main content

Elijah and the widow at Zarephath!

Then the word of the LORD came to him: “Go at once to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there. I have commanded a widow in that place to supply you with food.” So he went to Zarephath. 1 Kings 17:8-10

Good morning, friends.

When the water of the brook dried up, the Lord asked him to go to Zarephath. He obeyed and went.

When Elijah came to Zarephath, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, “Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?” As she was going to get it, he called, “And bring me, please, a piece of bread.” “As surely as the LORD your God lives," she replied, “I don't have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die.” Elijah said to her, “Don't be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: “The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD gives rain on the land.” She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. The jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the LORD spoken by Elijah.

We have so many messages from this passage.

One: Elijah was told by the Lord to go to Zarephath even before he complained God that He was not providing even the water of the brook when it went dry. God knows when and how to take care of our needs. The only thing which we can do is, to trust that He would fulfill His promises at His right time according to His heavenly riches.

Two: God didn’t ask Elijah to go to a rich family, but to the poorest. This is how God works. He doesn’t need the powerful and the most talented men to work out His plans. He just needs the humble ones. Are you humble? Are you flexible? If yes, cheer up. God can use you for His glory, no matter how dry you’re.

Three: The poor widow believed what the prophet told and she was willing to provide God’s man. She didn’t doubt his words. She didn’t look for her and her son’s own needs, instead she gave what she had. Are you worrying that you don’t have anything to honor God with. Don’t worry. God just wants you and not what you have.

Four: When the widow helped Elijah, she was blessed and her oil and flour didn’t decrease, instead they both remained as they were in the day 1 till the end of the famine. When you are willing to sacrifice things for God, definitely God will provide you above all that you can ever ask for. Not even a single cup of water you give for His work will go waste. They will be stored in your eternal account.

Five: When you serve God sincerely like Elijah, God will not only bless you, but will also bless others like widow at Zarephath through you. Are you ready to be a blessing to others? If yes, serve Him sincerely without turning back even at the times of famine.

May God bless you and you be a blessing to others!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your protective shade!

The LORD Himself watches over you! The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade.  Psalm 121 : 5 I know it has been a very long time since I have sent God’s Word to you. Since this is the first email in 2014, I have been waiting to send you either my personal testimony or one of my friends’ testimonies. I have drafted several emails, but didn’t send anything. Today, I am not able to keep quiet when I think about what God has done for me over last weekend. If it is God’s will I will meet you again with a wonderful testimony of my friend, while I am sending mine to you now. Many of you know a bit about me. I traveled onsite in the year 2010 and returned to India for good in July, 2013. I got married in August, 2013 (this itself is a separate testimony) and started going to office from September, 2013. Since I had my visa valid for 2 more years I had been asked to take up an onsite assignment and was not offered a project at offshore. I had some concerns in traveling o

Lazarus' Deliverer

Because He himself suffered when He was tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted. Hebrews 2:18 Easter is the most special day in the history that gave hope to the mankind! Lazarus, the brother of Martha and Mary was dead four days before Jesus reached Bethany. Jesus loved that family and they loved him as well. He was not there when Lazarus was sick. Lazarus was buried when Jesus reached Bethany. His sisters were weeping. Jesus also wept. They told Jesus, “Lord, if you have been here, Lazarus would not have died.” They moved on to Lazarus’ tomb. There was a stone across the entrance. Surely there was bad odor. Yet, Jesus said, “Take away the stone. If you believed, you would see the glory of God.” He prayed and there came Lazarus alive with his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.” God’s love is the same toward everyone! He doesn’t show favoritism. He love

Thank you, Lord!!!

He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.   2 Corinthians 12: 9 Below is a small portion of what I read in the book ‘ I’ve got to talk to somebody, God ’ written by ‘ Marjorie Holmes ’. "Oh God, how grateful we should be for color. For blue skies, blue eyes, and for the little blue dress that I am hanging on the line, for the ruby red of cherries, the red on the wood pecker’s throat, for the countless shades of green which carpet the ground and for the lovely yellow so rich and so intense in an egg yolk, a lemon, golden yellow of sunshine, daffodils, for different shades of skin, eyes and hair! How dull it would be Lord to see all the races and all faces looked alike." I never imagined that someone would thank the Lord for the colors. She doesn’t stop there. She thanks the Lord for she got the chance to doing