Skip to main content

The Prayer Killers - Part I - Unconfessed sins!

Joshua said, “Ah, Sovereign LORD, why did you ever bring this people across the Jordan to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us? If only we had been content to stay on the other side of the Jordan! O Lord, what can I say, now that Israel has been routed by its enemies? The Canaanites and the other people of the country will hear about this and they will surround us and wipe out our name from the earth. What then will you do for your own great name?” Joshua 7 :  7 - 9


Good morning to you all.

The Israelites acted unfaithfully in regard to the devoted things; Achan son of Carmi took some of them. So the Lord’s anger burned against Israel. Joshua sent men from Jericho to Ai, told them, “Go up and spy out the region.” So the men went up and spied out Ai. When they returned to Joshua, they said, “Not all the people will have to go up against Ai. Send two or three thousand men to take it and do not weary all the people, for only a few men are there.” So about three thousand men went up; but they were routed by the men of Ai, who killed about thirty-six of them. They chased the Israelites from the city gate as far as the stone quarries and struck them down on the slopes. At this the hearts of the people melted and became like water.

Then Joshua tore his clothes and fell facedown to the ground before the ark of the LORD, remaining there till evening. The elders of Israel did the same and sprinkled dust on their heads. Joshua said, “Ah, Sovereign LORD, why did you ever bring this people across the Jordan to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us? If only we had been content to stay on the other side of the Jordan! O Lord, what can I say, now that Israel has been routed by its enemies? The Canaanites and the other people of the country will hear about this and they will surround us and wipe out our name from the earth. What then will you do for your own great name?”

The Lord said to Joshua, “Stand up! What are you doing down on your face? Israel has sinned; they have violated my covenant, which I commanded them to keep. They have taken some of the devoted things; they have stolen, they have lied, they have put them with their own possessions. That is why the Israelites cannot stand against their enemies; they turn their backs and run because they have been made liable to destruction.I will not be with you anymore unless you destroy whatever among you is devoted to destruction.”


Doesn’t the subject tell you what today’s Word is all about? Friends, we know about pain killers, but do we know that there are some prayer killers inside us, which act as the barriers for our prayers? Let us see the background of this passage and also about the first prayer killer.

The wall of Jericho was broken just by the shouts of praises by the Israelites, as commanded by the Lord. They did nothing other than marching around the wall of Jericho for seven days. They marched seven times on the seventh day and when the trumpet was blown, they all shouted the praises to the Lord and the wall of Jericho fell down. But the Lord also has commanded that they should not keep any devoted thing for themselves, but they were to be burnt away. The one who fail to do it would bring destruction on the entire Israelites. As we read Joshua 7, we see Achan took some devoted things for himself and not revealing this to anyone. When they went to conquer Ai, which had very few men, they were routed by the men of Ai. So Joshua prayed to the Lord complaining him, without knowing about what Achan did. At that instant, the Lord pointed out the mistake of Achan to Joshua. Achan knew very well about what God told about the devoted things. Yet he stole something for himself and he didn’t even confess it to the Lord and to Joshua, his leader. So the first prayer killer is ‘the unconfessed sin’.

Are you praying for a miracle to happen in your life for a very long time? Are you longing for the fulfillment of the promises the Lord has given you? Are you taking steps to attain your goals, but failing without even a reason? Are you at the point of giving up your hope? Just think of it. Are you having any unconfessed sin within yourself? If yes, then it may be the reason for all the above questions. Proverbs 28:13 says, “He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.” Just close your eyes for 2 minutes and pray to the Lord right now and ask Him to show you the sins which are acting as the hindrances for your prayers. Then confess them to Him and get your sins washed away by Him. If you want to see the miracles sooner, then don’t delay confessing your sins anymore. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lazarus' Deliverer

Because He himself suffered when He was tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted. Hebrews 2:18 Easter is the most special day in the history that gave hope to the mankind! Lazarus, the brother of Martha and Mary was dead four days before Jesus reached Bethany. Jesus loved that family and they loved him as well. He was not there when Lazarus was sick. Lazarus was buried when Jesus reached Bethany. His sisters were weeping. Jesus also wept. They told Jesus, “Lord, if you have been here, Lazarus would not have died.” They moved on to Lazarus’ tomb. There was a stone across the entrance. Surely there was bad odor. Yet, Jesus said, “Take away the stone. If you believed, you would see the glory of God.” He prayed and there came Lazarus alive with his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.” God’s love is the same toward everyone! He doesn’t show favoritism. He love

Your protective shade!

The LORD Himself watches over you! The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade.  Psalm 121 : 5 I know it has been a very long time since I have sent God’s Word to you. Since this is the first email in 2014, I have been waiting to send you either my personal testimony or one of my friends’ testimonies. I have drafted several emails, but didn’t send anything. Today, I am not able to keep quiet when I think about what God has done for me over last weekend. If it is God’s will I will meet you again with a wonderful testimony of my friend, while I am sending mine to you now. Many of you know a bit about me. I traveled onsite in the year 2010 and returned to India for good in July, 2013. I got married in August, 2013 (this itself is a separate testimony) and started going to office from September, 2013. Since I had my visa valid for 2 more years I had been asked to take up an onsite assignment and was not offered a project at offshore. I had some concerns in traveling o

Be on guard; stay alert!

And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Mark 8 : 36 With all the fun and timeout I had with my husband as we spent about 9 days in Kerala, I had trouble in sleeping last but the previous night because of restless legs. I know it would go if I ate few bananas, but I didn’t get up as I felt lazy. I did whatever I could, to sleep, but I only slept after several hours. I had a dream/vision like never before. It was very scary. Even now I am filled with what I saw that night. I don’t know how I can write about it, but I will try. I am not saying that I am a saint and God showed me this for some reason. But I don’t want to keep it with myself, because if it was from God, then I wanted to tell others. Please bear with me as you read forward. In my dream, I saw myself resting on my Aunt’s lap in the terrace at night. As I looked up while I was speaking, I saw the planet Saturn coming down from the Sky. It was very huge in size as it came down. The