Skip to main content

It is worth it!


You shall stand up before the gray head and honor the face of an old man, and you shall fear your God: I am the Lord. Leviticus 19:32


It might sound silly to some of you, funny to others.

My grandma is more than 80 years old. She lost her husband 3 years ago. Though she has 9 children, and she lives with her youngest son, all her children visit her whenever they can. As I wrote yesterday, my mom and sister visited with her for a few days and my grandma proves the already known facts. :)

She behaves like a small kid who says things over and over again. People who are not mature enough may not even listen to her, like my sister. I would like to narrate to you a few conversations of my grandma with my sister.

Grandma:  How is Jansi doing?
My sister:  She is fine granny.
Grandma:  Does she speak to you often?
My sister:  Oh yes. She calls us every day.
Grandma: I want to see her very badly.

Within a minute, she repeats the same questions again, and she repeats it several times on a single day. :)

When I called her for a few minutes, she repeatedly told me that she wanted to speak to me and see me. She wanted me to eat well and stay healthy. To be honest, I was never bored with her.

Also, she forgets things very easily.

My Aunt visited my grandma with her little son, while my sister was there. Right after my aunt left for her house, my grandma started telling my sister, “It has been a long time since I have seen your Aunt and her son. I would love to see them. Will you please call them to come here for a visit?” :)

Sometimes she behaves quite silly.

They lit many candles where we buried our grandpa in remembrance of the third anniversary of his death. After a while the candles burnt out, and were not seen anymore. My Grandma complained to my sister that someone had stolen those candles. :)

When my sister paid no attention to what grandma said, grandma told my mom, “I love Jansi. She patiently answers all my questions. This little one doesn’t even pay attention to me, or she pretends that she doesn’t hear me.” I mention this not to exhort myself, but to tell you how our actions impact our elders.

Sometimes she remembers bitter things.

She can tell us those who spoke badly of her and who stole things from her house many decades ago correctly.

This is a Second childishness! Nothing more or less! Well, now, what do we get from the above?

This moment may come in our lives too. When we reach this last stage, we may remember certain things and forget the rest. We may irritate others with repeated questions. We may remember some good things and some bitter things about others. Though my grandma doesn’t remember everything about me, she remembers the good times I had with her. I can proudly say that I am the only grandchild of hers who always wanted to spend my entire vacation with her in her village. Surely she remembers it. I am glad about it. Also she remembers some bitter things that happened to her when she was young. Some of these stay in her heart after all these years. 

Dear friends, please make sure you leave good traces in people’s lives. You can create a soothing feeling to someone as they age. The news that I heard from one of my friends yesterday still makes me cry. That is a different story. The time we have with others is really short. :( We must utilize this short time in loving them, showing extra kindness, making an impact in their lives which they can remember throughout their lives. It’s worth it!!! It brings joy to the lonely hearts!

Be a blessing to others and stay blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lazarus' Deliverer

Because He himself suffered when He was tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted. Hebrews 2:18 Easter is the most special day in the history that gave hope to the mankind! Lazarus, the brother of Martha and Mary was dead four days before Jesus reached Bethany. Jesus loved that family and they loved him as well. He was not there when Lazarus was sick. Lazarus was buried when Jesus reached Bethany. His sisters were weeping. Jesus also wept. They told Jesus, “Lord, if you have been here, Lazarus would not have died.” They moved on to Lazarus’ tomb. There was a stone across the entrance. Surely there was bad odor. Yet, Jesus said, “Take away the stone. If you believed, you would see the glory of God.” He prayed and there came Lazarus alive with his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go.” God’s love is the same toward everyone! He doesn’t show favoritism. He love

Your protective shade!

The LORD Himself watches over you! The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade.  Psalm 121 : 5 I know it has been a very long time since I have sent God’s Word to you. Since this is the first email in 2014, I have been waiting to send you either my personal testimony or one of my friends’ testimonies. I have drafted several emails, but didn’t send anything. Today, I am not able to keep quiet when I think about what God has done for me over last weekend. If it is God’s will I will meet you again with a wonderful testimony of my friend, while I am sending mine to you now. Many of you know a bit about me. I traveled onsite in the year 2010 and returned to India for good in July, 2013. I got married in August, 2013 (this itself is a separate testimony) and started going to office from September, 2013. Since I had my visa valid for 2 more years I had been asked to take up an onsite assignment and was not offered a project at offshore. I had some concerns in traveling o

Be on guard; stay alert!

And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Mark 8 : 36 With all the fun and timeout I had with my husband as we spent about 9 days in Kerala, I had trouble in sleeping last but the previous night because of restless legs. I know it would go if I ate few bananas, but I didn’t get up as I felt lazy. I did whatever I could, to sleep, but I only slept after several hours. I had a dream/vision like never before. It was very scary. Even now I am filled with what I saw that night. I don’t know how I can write about it, but I will try. I am not saying that I am a saint and God showed me this for some reason. But I don’t want to keep it with myself, because if it was from God, then I wanted to tell others. Please bear with me as you read forward. In my dream, I saw myself resting on my Aunt’s lap in the terrace at night. As I looked up while I was speaking, I saw the planet Saturn coming down from the Sky. It was very huge in size as it came down. The